Sunday, February 12, 2017

Hospital Ship

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Sunday 10 June 1945, 6:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Darling here I am again. I began
the day by examining members of the crew from 8:30 to 9:30. Then I got a boat and went over to the hospital ship to visit Jim Lyons. He is the officer who fell through an open hatch. He was in the operating room. After waiting for thirty minutes I was told that it would be another hour before he was out. In as much as I had a boat lying off and waiting, I decided to leave and come back again in a day or so. Got back just in time for lunch.
     After chow I came down to my office and found nine letters. There were six from you, one of "I" Bergman and one each from our mothers. I spent this afternoon getting my wardroom statement for May completed. Then I read for awhile.
     Now to your letters. Didn't I comment about my wife when I wrote about the snaps? How does she look? Lady you'll never know how good those snaps looked to me and how many times I bring out my album and thumb through the pages and dream of days to come. You look swell and not too fat. Or were you holding your tummy in?
     I'd like our kids to have skates. If we get them slow pairs to learn on, they should never exhibit anything more than a few black and blue marks.
     Naturally when I get orders, I'll try to get a ship headed for San Pedro but that is just a matter of luck.
     See you got a couple more days of teaching. Guess there won't be many more since summer vacation will be here.
     You mention Norma's eye and hand being swollen but said nothing definite. I do hope it was just an insect bite and she's over it. She's had enough for awhile and so have you.
     Nothing yet about my promotion and frankly I'm not looking for it this month anymore. However an ALNAV may come out and surprise me so we'll just have to wait and see.
     I like you idea about celebrating all the holidays and occasions that I missed. Just think--Xmas 44, New Years, my birthday, Linda's birthday and Norma's too, 4th of July, our anniversary. I shan't go any further. Maybe we'll be lucky to celebrate the remaining holidays of the year on time.
     We have another old movie tonight but like "Old Faithful" I never miss. This time it's "The Song of the Bernadette."
     Well Darling that is thirty for tonight. Goodnight my Sweet. I hope you're over your gas and bilious attacks soon and for good.
Loving you always,
Gil

A Hospital Ship








No comments:

Post a Comment