Thursday, February 9, 2017

Scotch Whiskey

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday, 8 June 1943, 9:45 PM

Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, here I am again and this time just a wee bit tight. 
     I've begun re-examining the crew and checked twenty men this morning. Then I worked until 11:30 and secured for the day.
     After lunch I joined a party of officers going ashore. We had a swell afternoon. For the first time since I left the states, I was able to get scotch whiskey. We all drank plenty of it. We got back at 6:30 just in time for a late dinner.
     After dinner I went down to my office and found three letters from you, one from Libby and one from Mary Regan. When I finished reading them it was time for the movies so I shoved off. The picture wasn't too good. It was "Leave it to Blondie" but there were two good short subjects with it, one a Leon Errol comedy and the other a travelogue about Cuba.
     Now your mail. One was an oldie of 8 May and the others were of the 30th and 31st of May. Looks like my wife is still trying to teach those brats and they just won't learn. Oh, well! No dear I'm not at Okinawa so quit worrying.
     Parkus is a lot of bull. I know because I did business with him. If Foreman and Gordon are his busiest dentists then he must be slipping. Nothing more to say. I think I'd better turn in.
     Goodnight darling. I'll try to do better tomorrow night for I do love you.
Devotedly,
Gil
P.S. No ALNAV as yet but scuttlebutt persists that I'll make lieutenant this month after all.


Scotch Whiskey Ad



No comments:

Post a Comment