Friday, February 3, 2017

Ships Damaged with Casualties

Lt. (j.g.) Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Monday 4 June 1945, 10:30 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, how is my favorite wife tonight? I spent a not too busy morning in my office, grabbed a steak sandwich and took the liberty party ashore. We are now taking our men to an area fourteen miles away because it has swell facilities. We go over in an LCI. The skipper of the LCI, a Joseph Goldfarb, is a nice chap from New York. He is an architect by profession and went through Columbia on a scholarship. He must have something on the ball. He has been married for 3-1/2 years now and has a nine month old baby which he has never seen.
     Anyway Joe and I went over to the native trading post, but the prices were so ridiculous we didn't buy a thing. Soon it began to rain and we made for the only shelter available, the Officers' Club. We had a couple of beers and at 3:00 PM went back aboard the LCI where we just sat around and visited. We got the liberty party back aboard at 4:45 and got underway for our ship. I had dinner aboard as Joe's guest and he came over to our ship to see the movie. It was lousy, entitled "What a Blonde" with Leon Errol--nuff said.
     When I came down to my office I found four letters from you. I really wasn't expecting any letters for awhile. Nina's is very hard to read; it looks like you'll be stuck with her for a couple of days. Maybe it'll give you something different to do for a change.
     We had "Tomorrow the World" some time ago and I did enjoy it. I'm not so fat; at least the scales don't think so. I'm just about what I was when I left the states. However I could stand some more exercise, although walking around the ship and up and down ladders is more exercise than one imagines.
     Linda's show seems to keep you quite busy with costumes, rehearsals and what have you. I'd love some snaps of our girls in costume if that could be arranged.
     Sol's ship did see some action which is probably why she returned to the states. I don't believe he saw a hospital ship sink though one of ours was heavily damaged and suffered numerous casualties. I can't mention its name. I don't know whether the information has been released officially yet.
     Nina mentioned the Franklin. That carrier really took a beating. I saw it soon after the engagement--what a mess. You probably saw pictures of it in the papers.
     Well Darling, that is all for this time. You complain about my originality or lack thereof in making love. I always liked the old fashioned way the best. Bye Sweet until tomorrow.

I love you as always
Gil

U.S.S. Franklin damaged and listing after a Japanese air attack in March 1945.  Over 800 were lost.











No comments:

Post a Comment