Thursday, August 3, 2017

PBYs on the Beach

Sunday, 4 November 1945, 9:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another day with nothing accomplished but eating, sleeping and impatiently waiting for something to happen. This morning Leslie and I walked down the road a piece and found a stock pile consigned to the military government. We talked the officer in charge out of a few sets of khakis--trousers and shirts. Now I have enough clothes to get me home. I may even need my blues. Get them ready just in case.
     This afternoon we got hold of a jeep and took a ride up the coast. We saw several PBYs (sea planes) blown up during the typhoon onto the beach. We climbed into the wrecks. Leslie took some pictures. I do hope they come out. We got back just in time for dinner.
     After chow we went to the movie. The picture was "Divorce" with Kay Francis and Bruce Cabot. It was a picture with a moral but still not very bad. Now here I am.
     It is pretty cool tonight. I did appreciate the fur lined jacket issued to me. Bet I use both blankets when I turn in tonight.
     No mail again today so that is all for tonight. Goodnight Darling and pleasant dreams.

Love,
Gil

Wrecked PBYs (Gil identified the sea planes incorrectly--they are PBMs)

Gil front left


Gil middle


Another picture




No comments:

Post a Comment