Sunday, May 14, 2017

70° is Cold

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Thursday, 28 August 1945, 10:45 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Another routine day. Work, work, work all morning long and then lunch and more work. Anyway I was all through by 2:30 and the rest of the day was my own. Went to the wardroom and had a glass of iced coffee and then to my room for a little reading. I began "Sodom by the Sea," a story about the growth and development of Coney Island--quite interesting. At 5:00 PM I showered and dressed for dinner and after eating played cribbage. Then at 7:30 I went to the movies. We had "Adventures of Mark Twain" and I enjoyed it a lot. We had it aboard before but I missed it.
     The mailman was good to me bringing me four letters from you and one (a New Year's card) from my mother.
     I asked lots of question about Lake Arrowhead in yesterday's letter and now I have the answers. I believe Sam Crawford's home is located in the development you are staying in. Anyway by the map it seems to be where I dropped him off one weekend when he came up with me.
     The Siegers are funny people. Their marital relationship is strange to people like us. Sorry you find it so difficult up there and hope the box arrived on time. Transportation is a difficult problem all right.
     From your description of the place it is nothing like the house we had. I do hope it won't matter and that you and the girls enjoy the stay up there.
     Nothing much that is new out here. It looks like we'll be on our way very soon and this time it'll be north to a more temperate climate. Gosh it'll be swell to feel cold for a change. They tell me that after living in the tropics even sixty-five or seventy degrees is really cold. Who cares? I'll love it.
     That is thirty for now, so goodnight Darling. I'll see you in my dreams.
Love,
Gil
Lt. Gilbert Steingart







No comments:

Post a Comment