Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Demobilization Plan

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Thursday 16 August 1945, 7:20 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     When I came into the wardroom for breakfast there was a lot of excitement. The Navy had announced its demobilization plan. Actually the present point system will release only 327,000 of a total of 2,500,000 so it is evident that another and I hope more equitable plan will be announced very soon.   Relatives of many men serving overseas will write congressman asking for recognition of overseas duty and additional dependents. As it is, I'm short twelve points. Out of the well over 500 men aboard, I only know of four officers and ten men who are eligible. By the way the medical officers were included for release eligibility but the dental corps was not. I really hope to be a civilian in about six months.
     In spite of all the excitement I did keep busy all morning and even saw three patients this afternoon.
     There is no dope about where we go from here. In a day or so there will be no more censorship and I'll be able to write anything I damn please.
     The mail brought me one letter from my sweet. I was happy to read that you are keeping busy and that your spirits are up a little.
     No, in spite of my sweating, I haven't lost any weight. Who cares as long as I'm healthy?
     With the war over I may be able to tell you in advance when and where I'll arrive when I do head home. We'll be able to have a few days together before the family moves in on us.
     I'm not making any more jewelry. In a few days I'm taking the junk you sent over to a trading post and get whatever I can for it. I'll also buy some stuff if I can't get what I want in trade.
     Tonight's movie is "Hitchhike to Happiness" with Al Pearce. I hope it's better than last night's movie.
     No more for now Darling, so I'll sign off. Goodnight Sweetheart. I'll see you in my dreams.

Love,
Gil









No comments:

Post a Comment