Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Fouled Up

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Wednesday, 5 September 1945, 1:45 AM
Dearest Darling,
     Here I am writing to you early in the morning again. With the various fleet movements and personnel changes, my appointments are all fouled up. Out of five appointments this morning not one showed up.
This afternoon I took ashore the cosmetics you sent me and traded most of them for some souvenirs. I got a set of mother of pearl which should make up into a beautiful ring and earring set, some woven sandals, two beaded bags, two native bracelets and some shells. When we get to Okinawa maybe I'll be able to trade off the rest of the stuff. They went for the perfume and nail polish. The lipstick was the hardest to get rid of but I did get $1.00 in trade minimum for each item, some $2.00.
     We got back to the ship at 5:15 so I showered before going to chow. After chow the tug I usually use came alongside and seven of us went over to Tolosa for the evening. While we were there I met some USO entertainers that had been aboard and we visited. I even had a short dance with one of the girls. I'd have enjoyed it much more if it were you whom I was dancing with. At 11:15 we went out on the dock but we didn't shove off until 11:35. Arrived at the Ocelot at 12:30 and went to the wardroom for a sandwich and coffee. Now here I am.
     Because it is late I'm going to sign off now. Goodnight my Sweet and pleasant dreams.
Your husband who loves you,
Gil


No comments:

Post a Comment