Wednesday, May 3, 2017

No New Dope

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Friday 17 August 1945, 10:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Nice and cool today. It has been overcast all day and this evening it rained a little. The temperature is down to 87 degrees.
     I had quite a busy morning. This afternoon was "field day" so I read all afternoon or should I say most of it. Today, we got a new shipment of library books including "Earth and High Heaven." So now I'll be able to finish the story.
     At five o'clock I showered, dressed for dinner and after chow played cribbage until movie time. The picture was "Weekend at the Waldorf" with a whole host of stars. It was good only in spots. Rather slow all in all.
No new dope today. I feel certain a new point system will be announced soon and when it is I'll be eligible for civilian 1st class.
     There was no mail again today and there isn't a thing I can think worth writing except that I do love you and miss you and am getting really impatient to go home.
     That is all for tonight Sweet so bye and pleasant dreams.

Yours forever,
Gil

The Book




No comments:

Post a Comment