Monday, May 8, 2017

Piano Tuner Ordered Aboard

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Wednesday 22 August 1945, 6:50 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Wow what a day. The hottest I've experienced. I spent three hours in the sun on a VP landing boat. You see at noon today I heard of a USO show so I grabbed the only available transportation and headed for the beach. I got a show for September 3rd provided that our piano is tuned. So on the way back I stopped at another ship and found there was a tuner on board, but he couldn't get off. I got back aboard the Ocelot and took the problem up with the higher paid help; they sent a dispatch to that ship ordering the tuner to come over tomorrow. Hope it works.
     Nothing more of interest. I had my usual busy morning. When I got back from my little boat ride I showered and read until it was time to dress for dinner. The skipper is "under the weather" so no cribbage tonight.
     Tonight's movie is "Murder He Says" with Fred McMurray. The reviews aren't too hot. Hope it is at least average.
     No more scuttlebutt. Rumor has it that we will go to Manila, Okinawa or to various parts of Japan. Anyplace would be okay with me as long as it is north.
     No mail again today darling and I suppose from now on, for two weeks or so, your mail will be delayed on account of your vacation, but I'll understand.
     Bye my Sweet. Until tomorrow. I love you and am counting the days till we're together again.
Yours impatiently,
Gil

During World War II, Steinway & Sons produced pianos for the American troops. Called the Victory Vertical or G.I. Steinways,  they were sold to the U.S. government.








No comments:

Post a Comment