Thursday, May 4, 2017

Pyrotechnics

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Saturday 18 August 1945, 10:25 PM
Dearest Eleanor
     It was raining last night when I turned in and continued to come down until late this afternoon. As a result it is much cooler today hitting a new low of 82 degrees.
     I had quite a busy morning but the afternoon was mine. I had planned to go ashore but the rain changed my mind. If it's nice tomorrow I'm planning a little trip. I have a tug promised but it all depends on the weather.
     I finished "Earth and High Heaven" this afternoon. I enjoyed reading it. I also censored some mail and at five o'clock showered and dressed for dinner and then cribbage.
     We had a good movie for a change, "Flame of the Barbary Coast" with John Wayne, Ann Dvorak and Joseph Schildkraut.
     I got two letters from you my darling and one from Libby. You sure didn't have to spend $5 on Harry's birthday after the two cheap books they sent me on mine. Jesus gal, money doesn't grow on trees. No wonder it costs you so much to live. Instead of telling me how cheap Ruth acts at times, why don't you give them the "business" instead.
     Glad you've decided against continued diet. Dieting never did your health or disposition any good.
     Cox finally left last week. Glass is also on his way. Another officer Roger Kirk is now awaiting his relief. Of the officers I found when I came aboard only the captain, Dr. Bushyager, Kuhn, and Aspinwall remain. In another month I expect only I and Aspinwall will remain and not for very long, I hope.
     No dear, I haven't lost any weight. This heat makes a guy pepless enough without diet. However, if we do move up to Japan before I go back, the change will do me and my waistline good.
     As I wrote before we did all our celebrating Friday night. As a matter of fact we used up all our pyrotechnics. When peace was officially announced there was little excitement out here.
     Well darling another week is over, another week less of being apart. From the looks of things the rotation plan is continuing and I still hope to be home this fall and that isn't far away.
     So Sweet until tomorrow with love and kisses.

Your lonely husband
Gil

Pyrotechnics used up before official peace announcement.










No comments:

Post a Comment