Monday, May 15, 2017

Rumors

U.S.S. OCELOT (IX-110)
c/o Fleet Post Office
San Francisco, California
Wednesday 29 August 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Today was supposed to be a busy one but I had some last minute cancellations so I really had an easy day. This afternoon I loafed around and read until 4:00 PM when I had an emergency extraction. Then back to my room for a shower and change of clothes before dinner.
     A group of us officers were going over to the beach tonight but our boat broke down and the tug we are getting isn't here yet. Hope she gets here soon because it'll take an hour to go over.
     There was no mail today, but I didn't expect any after yesterday's five letters. I haven't received the gold braid yet. I guess those letters were delayed. I've already gotten mail from Lake Arrowhead so the others should have been here by now.
     There isn't anything more I can tell you. All kinds of rumors are floating around--some that the ship will head stateside in a month or so and others that we'll be out here for months yet. Of course, I'm hoping that the ship goes back soon. Even if it doesn't my orders should be here in a month or so (I hope).
     That is all for tonight. Good night Sweet. Kiss our two darlings specially for me.
Lovingly,
Gil
Lt. Gilbert Steingart





No comments:

Post a Comment