Sunday, May 7, 2017

Admiral Jacobs

Lieut. Gilbert Steingart
U.S.S. Ocelot, F.P.O. San Francisco
Tuesday 21 August 1945, 7:00 PM
Dearest Eleanor,
     Hello Sweet, another hot day is drawing to an end. I was swamped under this morning, but this afternoon was easy and I secured at 2:30.
     You've probably heard about the Navy wanting 30,000 reserve officers for the regular Navy. Well all of the ship's officers none are interested. By the by the August 13th Time magazine has an interesting article on the same subject.
     We heard over the radio that Admiral Jacobs, Chief of Bureau of Personnel, said that the reason that overseas duty wasn't given consideration was because there are no records showing the time served overseas. Why such a statement was made I'll never know. They have all that dope for pay purposes. I'm interested in seeing the press reaction.
     At 4:00 P.M. I had my hair cut. Then showered and visited with Dr. Law in our stateroom. At 5:30 PM we dressed and went up to chow. I don't know where the skipper went, he wasn't at dinner. Anyway no cribbage game tonight.
     I got a letter from you and one from Uncle Bill. I hope there are no last minute hitches in your vacation plans and that everything goes smoothly while you are at Lake Arrowhead. I hear gas rationing is over so now you won't have to worry about coupons.
     The treatment the men got when they got back from the Kaiser show was plenty of punishment in itself. Imagine drinking up to two quarts of warm salt water to vomit the stuff up. Of course their liberty was cancelled for several weeks. Out here it is pretty hard to discipline men past that point.
     So Norma is following in the steps of her daddy? Well I outgrew it without detrimental effects and I'm sure she will too.
     I read up some more on penicillin given orally. It does work effectively. I hope Deb gets over her indisposition and feels 4.0 by now.
     So you feel like a little loving "tonight?" I feel like it every night. Have we got some tall catching up to do, wow!
     No scuttlebutt, now news, no nothing. So goodnight. Oh yes, our movie tonight is a real stinker called "There Goes Kelly." Nuff said.
     Goodnight Darling until tomorrow.

Love,
Gil


Admiral Jacobs


Gas ration coupons









No comments:

Post a Comment